On 29th September 1954, 257 Squadron replaced its Meteor 8’s with the new Hunter MK2 and by February 1955, 263 Squadron had done the same. Due to runway repairs 257 Sqn and 263 Sqn moved out to RAF Wymeswold. In January 1957 152 Squadron move back to Wattisham. On 31st March 1957, 257 Squadron disbanded and in the April 263 re-equip with Hunter Mk6’s and returned to Wattisham. With more improvements being carried out at Wattisham 152 & 263 Squadrons move back to Stradishall in the August never to return.
In June 1958, 111 Squadron “The Black Arrows” display team moved to Wattisham led by Squadron Leader Roger Topp.
At the 1958 Farnborough Air Show they reached their pinnacle with 22 Hunters in formation doing a loop. This was and still is a world record. At about the same time 56
Squadron had arrived to take up the post of the second day-fighter squadron. While “Treble One Squadron” represented the RAF at air shows both here and abroad it was largely left to 56 Squadron to carry out day to day air defence duties. Both Squadrons swapped their Hunters for the Lightning in 1960